Peel District School Board TESL Program Eligibility
The following are the eligibility requirements for the Peel District School Board TESL Program:
1. A university undergraduate degree: A university undergraduate degree is required for Professional Certification by both TESL Canada and TESL Ontario. A university undergraduate degree is also required to secure a work visa in most countries.
You may be accepted into the TESL program if you do not have a university degree however you will not eligible for Professional Certification from TESL Canada or TESL Ontario and your employment opportunities in both Canada and internationally will be limited.
2. A strong command of English – If English is not your first language you must have a demonstrated proficiency in the English language, and will be required to provide proof of this proficiency through results from a standardized language proficiency test.
If you are enrolling in the ACE TESOL Certificate that is approved for TESL Canada Standard One Professional Certification, please be advised that effective October 1st, 2015 onwards TESL Canada will only accept IELTS Academic and TOEFL iBT as English Proficiency Tests. Below are the revised scores:
English Language Proficiency Tests
Score – Program Trainees
Overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area
Overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing
Please be advised that TESL Canada will accept the English Language Proficiency Scores mentioned below only until September 30, 2015:
- TOEFL - CBT 213 / PBT 550, TWE - 5 recommend 5.5, TSE - 60 recommend 60
- TOEFL iBT - 80 overall with a minimum score of 20 in each area
- IELTS - 6.5 overall
- MELAB - 85/speaking test score of 4
- Can Test - Listening, reading, writing 5, speaking 4.5
- CAEL - Band 60 overall with a minimum of 60 in each of the writing and speaking subsets
- Common European Framework - C1
- Canadian Language Benchmarks - CLB 9 in each area
- High school graduation from a Canadian high school, including a minimum Grade 12 English score of 70%
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from an English-speaking University
For further information on the TESL Canada English language proficiency requirements, see page nine of this document:
If you are enrolling in the ACE TESOL Diploma that is approved for TESL Ontario Professional Certification, you can demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving the minimum score indicated on one of the following standardized proficiency tests:·
- COPE&TOP - Listening: 32 Reading: 32 Writing: 46 TOP: 7
- Can Test – Listening 5, reading 5, writing 5, speaking 5
- CAEL – Listening 70, Reading 70, Writing 70, Speaking 80
- TOEFL CBT – Total 250, TWE 5.5, TSE 50
- TOEFL iBT – Listening 24, Reading 24, Writing 28, Speaking 27
- IELTS-Academic – Listening 7, Reading 7, Writing 7, Speaking 8
- MELAB – Total 85, Writing 87, Speaking 4
For further information on the TESL Ontario English language proficiency requirements and circumstances for exceptions, see page three of this document.
You can enrol in the ACE TESOL Certificate or the ACE TESOL Diploma without demonstrating the above English language proficiencies, however, you will not be eligible to apply for either TESL Canada Standard One Professional Certification or TESL Ontario Professional Certification. No allowances will be made in the course requirements and standards for students who have not demonstrated the above English language proficiencies.
3. Genuine interest in teaching English to speakers of other languages
4. Commitment to 90% attendance
5. Completion of the registration & payment process
6. The ACE TESOL Certificate (or equivalent) is a pre-requisite to enrol in the ACE TESOL Diploma course